THE TIME HAS COME!
My Dental Clinic – Sunbeam Specialized Dental Services is now open to the public!
Canadians with developmental disabilities often suffer from poor oral health and are faced with many barriers limiting their timely access to oral health care. One such barrier is the limited number of practitioners who are properly trained and well equipped to support people with complex accommodation needs. Sunbeam Community and Developmental Services has created a solution for individuals in the Kitchener-Waterloo area to receive this all important oral care – This is incredibly important because, if left untreated, poor oral health will also inevitably affect their physical wellbeing. We will be offering an environment that will serve their unique and specific needs and ensure that they do not go without proper oral care.
The design of Sunbeam’s new specialized dental clinic will incorporate the following key enhanced infection prevention and control features, as well as customizing the space for this specific population:
Sufficient space to enable appropriate physical distancing where possible and assist with both air flow and air quality management
- Two treatment areas, each area with its own specialized dental chair to provide the necessary “downtime” after each treatment to meet the new air quality / filtration requirements
- Two specialized HEPA air purification systems; one for each treatment area to perform the air quality management protocols which are key to the enhanced infection prevention and control standards
- Multi-sensory equipment to help those with sensory issues
- $250,000 investment toward renovations including an X-Ray machine
Using a person-centered approach, the care and compassion demonstrated by our staff will ensure that those we serve are treated with the dignity they deserve when accessing any or all our specialized and fully accessible services. All our staff are trained to meet the individual needs of the people we serve and adapt the service to the person – not the person to the service.
Individuals with developmental disabilities who are eligible to receive service at Sunbeam Specialized Dental Services are:
- Children, up to the age of 17 years old, who are registered with Healthy Smiles Ontario
- Adults, between the ages of 18-64 years old, who have ODSP benefits
- Seniors, over the age of 65 years old, who have private insurance/private pay for services received
To book an appointment with our clinic, please contact Kingsway Reception (519-893-6200) to first receive a Patient Registration Form.
Appointments can be confirmed once the Form is completed and returned.