Your Privacy is Important to Us
Sunbeam Community & Developmental Services, Sunbeam Developmental Resource Centre, and Developmental Services Ontario Central West Region (collectively referred to as “Sunbeam”), and its programs and services, collects and records personal information/personal health information about the people we support, our employees and volunteers, and our donors. This information is collected from the person directly, or from someone acting on their behalf (a Parent, Guardian or Advocate). The personal information that we collect may include:
- Personal name, date of birth, and contact information;
- The names and contact information of family members and significant others;
- Information contained within an Application for Developmental Services and Supports;
- Information that has been shared with Sunbeam regarding the person supported;
- Information that is provided to Sunbeam by employees, volunteers, and donors;
- Any other personal or health information that might affect the provision of services and supports.
We may also collect and record personal information from other sources if we have obtained consent to do so or if the law permits. Information shared with Sunbeam may be documented in electronic client records (ECRs), staff/ student/ volunteer/ donor databases, and paper files and will be stored and retained in accordance to policies related to disposal and destruction of information.
We use and disclose personal information/personal health information to:
- Allow members of our team to provide services, where requested;
- Make referrals on behalf of the individual supported, as requested;
- Provide support and assistance to the individual supported and their Parents, Guardian or Advocate;
- Plan, administer, and manage our internal operations;
- Maintain information in our ECRs for current services and future planning needs;
- Maintain information in staff databases for employer obligations;
- Support volunteers and donors with their connection to Sunbeam;
- Conduct risk assessments and complete quality improvement/assurance initiatives;
- Compile statistical analysis of services to conduct research;
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements; and,
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law.
We take steps to protect personal information/ personal health information from theft, loss, and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure, and disposal. Sunbeam takes steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us, protect the personal information/personal health information collected and only uses such information for the purposes for which Sunbeam has been consented to use it or as authorized by law. Various technical and policy measures are in place to protect personal information/personal health information maintained at Sunbeam.
Individuals and/or their Parents, Guardians or Advocate, staff, students, volunteers and donors may access and correct the content of their personal information/personal health information by contacting the Coordinator, Supervisor or Manager of the associated department.
Consent may be withdrawn from some of the above uses and disclosures of personal information/ personal health information by contacting the Coordinator, Supervisor or Manager of the associated department, subject to legal exceptions.
For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact us at:
Sunbeam Community & Developmental Services – Chief Privacy Officer
2749 Kingsway Drive
Kitchener, ONTARIO N2C 1A7
Phone: (519) 893-6200
Fax: (519) 893-9034