Savoury Ham and Cheese Muffins
1 ½ cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp white sugar
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dill
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup minced onion
½ tsp butter
1/3 cup finely chopped ham
1/3 cup finely chopped spinach
1 cup milk
¼ cup oil
10 postage stamp sized cheese squares
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, white sugar, garlic and dill.
- Add the shredded cheese and stir.
- Place the onion in a microwave safe dish. Add the butter and microwave for 45 seconds or until the butter melts and the onion is softened.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg. Add the milk and oil to the beaten egg.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Fold in the onions, ham and spinach.
- Spoon the batter into greased muffin tin and top each muffin with a cheese square
- Bake for 15 minutes. (You may want to change the oven to broil setting for the last two minutes of baking time to give the muffins a nice golden-brown finish)
***Makes 10 large muffins***
Submitted by: Laurie Yeo-Schmidt, Coordinator, Volunteer Services